Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Tips I Learned from a Text that I Actually Loved :)


When it comes to reading a text, I am not usually fond of one that does not include a dystopia or love story taste to it, although I have finally found one that I enjoy. This text would be Teaching Arguments: Rhetorical Comprehension, Critique, and Response? Here are five tips I learned from a book that actually kept me thinking:

1. Its okay to make mistakes.

        When it comes to being a teacher, you make think you have to know it all. This may be true on some subjects, but not always. Its okay to not know everything. Its okay to tell your students you are not the most knowledgeable on a certain topic. They would rather you be honest than you faking it. 

2. Seeing past the surface.

      This text teaches your students to see past their first impressions. This topic can have to with writing or just in life in general. 

3. Make work meaningful.

     This benefits the student into making their writing mean something to them rather than just a boring old approach to an essay.

4. Guide to becoming a "good" student.

     This chapter was one of my favs! Whats better than reading about how to make your students imagine more and become successful?

5. You can blend theory and application. 

     Helps you provide activities in the classroom that can merge the too.


So get your hands on this book. It will make your life as a teacher simpler than it should be. :) 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it! Yes---practical profession books are powerful places to grow our practice! You have highlighted 5 important ideas for all teachers not just English teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it! Yes---practical profession books are powerful places to grow our practice! You have highlighted 5 important ideas for all teachers not just English teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 is a big problem for me personally! I always feel like I have to be perfect! I'm really hard on myself and I hate when I don't know something when it comes to teaching. There's no such thing as a perfect teacher which is something I really need to keep in mind! I want to read this book now thanks to your tips from it!

    ReplyDelete